School of Psychology - Leading psychological science, scholarship and practice
Donna Rose Addis
Donna Rose completed her BA and MA in Psychology at The University of Auckland. She then undertook a PhD as a Commonwealth Scholar at the University of Toronto, followed by a post-doctoral fellowship at Harvard University. Donna Rose returned to the School of Psychology in 2008, where she leads the Memory Lab. Her research is supported by the Marsden Fund and an inaugural Rutherford Discovery Fellowship. In 2010, Donna Rose won the prestigious Prime Minister’s MacDiarmid Emerging Scientist Prize.
How do memory abilities change as we age and what impacts do such changes have on other aspects of psychological functioning?
Donna Rose’s research combines neuroimaging, behavioural and neuropsychological methods to investigate how the brain remembers past experiences, how we use memory to simulate future events and construct a sense of identity, and how these abilities change in healthy ageing and dementia. Donna Rose has a particular interest in the role of the hippocampus in memory, and she has conducted research with other populations with hippocampal dysfunction, including temporal lobe epilepsy and depression.
- Schacter, D.L., Gaesser, D., Addis, D.R. (2013). Remembering the past and imagining the future in the elderly. Gerontology, 59, 143-151. http://dx.doi.org/10.1159/000342198
- Irish, M., Addis, D.R., Hodges, J., Piguet, O. (2012). Considering the role of semantic memory in episodic future thinking: evidence from semantic dementia. Brain, 135, 2178-2191. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/brain/aws119
- Addis, D.R., Roberts, R.P., Schacter, D.L. (2011). Age-Related Neural Changes in Remembering and Imagining. Neuropsychologia, 49, 3656-3669. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.neuropsychologia.2011.09.021
- Addis, D.R., Leclerc, C.M., Muscatell, K., Kensinger, E.A. (2010). There are age-related changes in neural connectivity during the successful encoding of positive, but not negative, information. Cortex, 46, 425-433. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cortex.2009.04.011
- Addis, D.R., Tippett, L.J. (2004). Memory of myself: Autobiographical memory & identity in Alzheimer’s disease Memory, 12, 56-74.
For a complete list of publications, please see www.memorylab.org/Publications.htm
Centres and programmes