School of Psychology - Leading psychological science, scholarship and practice

Master of Science/Arts in Psychology

Students who have completed a bachelor with honours or a Postgraduate Diploma in Psychology may choose to study towards a Master of Science/Arts.

Psychology can be studied both as a Master of Science (MSc) and Master of Arts (MA) degree.

For more information about the 120-point and 240-point MA options visit the Faculty of Arts website.

When planning your MSc thesis there are some important factors to consider:

Masters thesis supervision

The idea for a thesis does not have to emanate solely from your ideas, more often; it will arise out of interactions with members of staff. Generally the main supervisor is a Psychology staff member at The University of Auckland. When asking staff to supervise them, you should realise that it is not reasonable to expect staff to supervise topics in areas where those staff have no expertise or interest.

Masters by thesis only

If you have completed the equivalent of the first year of a Masters degree, whether this was by studying at another university, completing a Postgraduate Diploma, honours degree or equivalent qualification, it may be possible to enrol in a Masters by Thesis only.

To see specific requirements for admission, please visit the University Calendar.

Find the application forms for the Masters by Thesis only on Application forms.

Masters theses and examination

Masters theses are worth 120 points and normally take one year to complete. Almost all theses involve some form of data collection and analysis of results. The work may be experimental or non-experimental, it may involve animals or humans and the analyses may be mostly quantitative or mostly qualitative.

Masters students are required to submit two hard bound copies of their thesis to the Graduate Centre by the due date. On successful completion of the thesis examination, the two copies will be deposited in the University Library. Detailed guidelines on thesis presentation and submission can be found in the Guide to Theses and Dissertations, available from Masters policies and guidelines.