Dr Susan Joyce Cowie
Registered Clinical Psychologist, BSc, MSc/PGDipClinPsych
Research | Current
Presently enrolling for PhD focused on maternal mental health.
Teaching | Current
As a Senior Tutor in the Clinical Psychology training Programme I have a number of roles including those listed below.
- Teaching clinical skills including professional issues, assessment and management of suicide and hopelessness, cognitive behaviour therapy, and therapy for anxiety disorders.
- Clinical Internship arrangement and liaison.
- Supervision training to practicing and potential supervisors. I am happy for Clinical Psychologists in the field to contact me regarding supervision training or if they are interested in providing placement or internship supervision for our students.
- Clinical supervision to students on placement at the Psychology Clinic at Tāmaki Campus.
Areas of expertise
- Mental health issues for women particularly with young children
- Cognitive behaviour therapy
- Anxiety disorders
- Member of the NZ College of Clinical Psychologists
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Cartwright, C., Barber, C., Cowie, S., & Thompson, N. (2016). A trans-theoretical training designed to promote understanding and management of countertransference for trainee therapists. Psychotherapy Research, 1-15. 10.1080/10503307.2016.1252071
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Claire Cartwright